Workers’ Compensation: Helping Injured Workers Move Forward
A workplace accident can keep you from maintaining your income while recovering from your injuries. In these cases, New Jersey workers’ compensation is here to provide you with the resources you need to cover the costs of your workplace injury. Earning those benefits can be difficult, and it is possible to miss out on the full compensation you deserve. Thankfully, you can get help from an experienced and dedicated team.
At Weiner Mazzei LLC, we have been serving the Passaic community since the 1980s. We know the workers’ compensation process and what you need to do following an accident, and we are here to provide you with the guidance you need.
What You Should Know About Workers’ Compensation
Workers’ compensation covers benefits such as lost income, medical expenses and rehabilitation costs for employers who suffer injuries while on the job. To help ensure you successfully receive these benefits follow these initial steps:
- Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. By doing this, your employer can begin their own responsibilities in your workers’ compensation claim.
- Keep thorough notes of everything related to your accident. You may face questions about the accident in the future, and you want to have the necessary answers.
- Seek medical attention after your accident. No matter how small your injuries may seem to you, you need to let a doctor verify your medical condition. Keep any medical reports or documents and follow any doctor’s orders.
- Contact an experienced New Jersey workers’ compensation attorney. A skilled lawyer can help you take the proper steps, prevent critical mistakes and minimize the time it takes to receive the compensation you deserve.
We can guide you through the workers’ compensation process and answer questions you may have along the way.
The Workers’ Compensation Process
The typical process follows the same few steps.
First, your employer will make a workers’ compensation claim with their insurer and the state workers’ compensation board office. Next, the insurance company will evaluate your claim, and one of their administrators will inform you whether or not they accept the claim and how much they intend to pay you. If you are not satisfied with the amount they offer or they denied your claim, we can help you seek better compensation or appeal a denied claim.
Answers To Your New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Questions
When facing a workplace injury, questions about medical care and financial responsibilities are inevitable. Finding clear guidance on where to seek help and understanding available benefits can be even more challenging without some answers to frequently asked questions.
Can I choose my own doctor for workers’ compensation?
According to New Jersey Workers’ Compensation legislation, you do not have the autonomy to choose your own physician. The selection of medical professionals who can provide treatment rests with your employer and workers’ compensation insurance provider.
Who pays for my medical bills?
In New Jersey, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance will cover your medical bills related to a workplace injury. This coverage often includes expenses such as doctor visits, hospital stays, medication and rehabilitation services. It is, therefore, worth reporting your injury promptly to your employer and seeking medical attention as soon as possible to initiate the claims process.
When can I return to work?
The timing of your return to work can depend on:
- The severity of your injury or illness
- Your doctor’s recommendations
- Any work restrictions or accommodations that may be necessary for your recovery
Your treating physician can assess your medical condition and guide you on when it is safe to return to work. In some cases, you may be able to return to your previous job with modifications, or you may need to explore alternative work options if you cannot perform your previous job duties due to your injury.
Do I need a workers’ compensation lawyer?
Seeking legal counsel can be highly beneficial, especially if you encounter challenges during the claims process. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can provide invaluable guidance and representation. This can ensure your rights are protected and help you navigate any disputes that may arise.